Caramel apple cupcakes are the perfect mix of two fall-favorite treats. Spiced apple cupcakes are topped with caramel cream cheese frosting. We love to top off these cupcakes with walnuts and caramel drizzle.
While I can do without the cold weather, fall foliage, caramel apples, Halloween and baking are a few of my favorite things about this time of the year. We recently went on our on annual apple picking trip, and came home with way too many apples. The kids and I have been busy in the kitchen baking up some of our favorite fall treats, and trying out some new recipes, like these spiced apple cupcakes with cream cheese frosting.
Caramel Apple Cupcakes:
- 1 box Duncan Hines Moist Deluxe Spice cake mix
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup apple juice
- 2 cups chunky applesauce
- 1 cup caramel apple dip
- 3 large eggs room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- Toppings; crushed walnuts extra caramel(optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line cupcake pan with 24 liners
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together the cake mix, oil, apple juice, chunky applesauce, and 1/2 cup caramel apple dip until well blended.
- Add the eggs one at a time mixing well after each. Mix in cinnamon.
- Fill cupcake liners 2/3 full and bake until toothpick inserted comes out clean, about 20-25 minutes. Let cool before frosting.
- In large mixing bowl cream together the butter, cream cheese and rest of the caramel apple dip until fluffy. Add powdered sugar one cup at a time and blend well.
- Pipe frosting onto cupcake.
- Top with crushed walnuts, and/or drizzled caramel.
Caramel apples have always been one of my favorite fall treats. After a cool afternoon at kickball practice the boys helped me whip up these Caramel Apple cupcakes. We topped a few of them with crushed walnuts to give them a little crunch, and next time plan to add in a few chunks of fresh apples, topped with a drizzle of caramel sauce.