With December in full swing, the kids and I have been busy decorating the house for Christmas and making delicious Christmas treats. This Christmas Tree Cupcakes recipe made with sugar cones was a huge hit last Christmas and we plan to make them again this year for our annual Christmas eve get together.
Christmas Tree Cupcakes
Sugar Cone Christmas Tree cupcakes are fun dessert to make at home with the kids during the holiday season and can be also be used for an activity at a Christmas party or school Christmas Party. These Christmas Tree cupcakes can be prepared ahead of time so that kids can decorate them with sprinkles, or a table can be set up and the kids can frost the trees with green frosting and then decorate with sprinkles, m&ms, or candy confetti.
How to make a cupcake look like a Christmas Tree.
These ice cream cones are decorated with green frosting using the Wilton tip #233. You can find this decorating tip online on Amazon, at Michael’s Crafts store, Jo-Ann Fabrics, and Walmart.
Depending on the number of kids attending the Christmas party, you can prepare 3-4 bags of frosting. Frosting the cone does take a little time, or to save some time with the younger children, you can prepare a few trees ahead of time.
Tip: You can also use a butter knife to spread a thin layer of frosting over the cone, that way you will not have any bare spots when using the grass decorating tip.
What you’ll need to make Christmas Tree Cone Cupcakes:
- Sugar Cones
- White frosting – to act like glue and hold the Christmas tree in place
- Green Frosting
- Small ornament candy (m&ms, nerds)
- Pastry Bag
- Wilton tip #233
How to make a Christmas Tree on a Cupcake
- 1 18.25 ounce box cake mix
- Two 16-ounce containers of vanilla frosting
- Sugar cones
- Wilton Tip #233
- Green food coloring
- Edible glitter / decorative sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line cupcake pan with paper liners.
- Prepare cupcake batter and bake cupcakes according to package directions. Set aside & let cupcakes cool.
- Once cooled, frost cupcakes with white frosting, sprinkle with edible glitter.
- Mix remaining frosting with green food coloring.
- Frost cones with a thin layer of green frosting and press onto top of cupcake.
- Using Wilton Tip #233 on a decorating bag, pipe frosting on the sugar cone to create a tree.