Each holiday I try to make at least one new recipe. Pies are always a huge hit but there are always so many leftovers, so instead of making two pies this year, an apple and a cherry, I decided to try out a Cherry & Apple Slab Pie.
Cherry & Apple Slab Pie:
Prep Time: 10 Minutes Cook Time: 45-55 Min Servings: 16
- 1 box Refrigerated pie crusts (contains 2 pie crusts)
- 13 x 9 Bakeware Pan
- 121-ounce can LUCKY LEAF® Regular or Premium Cherry Pie Filling
- 121-ounce can LUCKY LEAF® Premium Apple Pie Filling
- ⅓ cup Sugar
- ⅓ cup All-purpose flour
- 3 Tablespoons Butter, chilled
- 2 Tablespoons Brown sugar
- ¼ cup Karo® light or dark corn syrup
- 1 Tablespoon Butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Stack the 2 pie crusts on top of each other and roll into a 16 x 12-inch rectangle. Fit crust into 13 x 9-inch baking pan.
- Pour 1 can of pie filling on half the crust, pour the other can of pie filling on the remaining half. Spread the filling so that it completely covers the crust. Set aside.
- For the crumb topping: mix sugar and flour in a small bowl. Use a fork and mash or a pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse meal. Sprinkle evenly over pie.
- Bake for 45 to 55 minutes until crumb topping is lightly browned.
- Blend together brown sugar, corn syrup and melted butter and drizzle over the hot pie. Cool before serving.
- Serve with ice cream, if desired.
The Cherry & Apple Slab Pie was super easy to make and was a huge hit at family dinner, the pie was devoured and only one little sliver of cherry was left after dinner which of course I had to finish off.
You can really use any type of pie filling but the cherry and apple is a favorite of mine, and was definitely a favorite of my extended family.