This Firecracker Red White and Blue cake combines layers of red, white, and blue cake and frosting, topped with patriotic sprinkles, perfect for any patriotic themed party including the 4th of July, Memorial Day, or Labor Day.
This 4th of July we will be celebrating in Michigan surrounded by 150 friends and family. I’ve never met most of my husbands extended family and I’m excited for this reunion and to be able to meet them. I’m always up for a little baking, and love themed parties so yesterday I decided to give the Firecracker Red White and Blue cake recipe a try that I spotted on the Betty Crocker website. I need to make at least 3 of these cakes for the 4th of July cookout / reunion so last night the boys helped me to make a test cake, I wanted to make sure it was doable and wasn’t too complex. Of course I ran out of red food coloring for the cake so I had to run out mid cake making to buy more, I purchased the red-red Wilton coloring and it came out great. The only thing I will change is the blue food coloring, I will have to pick up a darker blue from Wilton.
Firecraker Red, White & Blue Cake
- 1 box Betty Crocker® SuperMoist® white cake mix
- Water vegetable oil and egg whites called for on cake mix box
- Red food color
- Blue food color
- 1 container 12 oz Betty Crocker® Whipped fluffy white frosting
- Pre-heat oven to 325°F. Generously grease bundt cake pan. Make cake batter as directed on box, using water, oil and egg whites. Divide cake batter into three separate bowls. In one bowl, stir in red food color, mix well. In second bowl stir in blue food color, mix well
- Pour red cake batter into bottom of pan. Carefully pour remaining white batter over red batter in pan. Carefully pour blue batter over white batter. (Blue batter does not need to cover white batter completely; it looks better if it just forms a ring in the center of the white batter.).
- Bake as directed on box or until toothpick inserted near center comes out clean. Cool cake 5 minutes. Meanwhile, place cooling rack over cookie sheet. Turn pan upside down onto cooling rack. Cool cake completely, about 30 minutes.
- When cake is cool, divide frosting evenly into 3 microwavable bowls. Microwave 1 bowl of frosting uncovered on High for only a few seconds until smooth enough to drizzle over cake. (Make sure not to overheat it.) With spoon, drizzle all of white frosting back and forth around cake in a striping pattern. Repeat microwaving second bowl of frosting until smooth. Stir in a few drops blue food color until well blended. Drizzle over cake, scattering frosting back and forth. Repeat with remaining bowl of frosting and red food color, making sure red, white and blue frostings can be seen on cake. Sprinkle with red, white and blue sprinkles or candies. Let cake stand at room temperature until frosting is set before serving.
Firecracker Red White and Blue Cake:
Overall, this Firecracker Red White and Blue cake was a huge hit with our family, I can’t wait to make it for our 4th of July party.