Looking for a pie to make for the holidays? Try this Crunchy Caramel Apple Pie! I’ve never used oats in an Apple Pie before but the crumb topping was quite delicious!
- pastry for single-crust pie
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 6 cups thinly sliced peeled apples
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking rolled oats
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/4 cup caramel ice cream topping
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- Prepare pastry for single-crust pie. Place in pie dish & crimp the edges. (I was running short for time & used a prepared pie crust.)
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together the sugar, flour, cinnamon, and salt. Add apple slices and gently toss until they are all coated.
- Place mixture into pie crust.
For Crumb Topping:
- Stir together brown sugar, flour, and oats, then add butter.
- Using a pastry blender, cut in the butter until topping resembles coarse crumbs, sprinkle over apple mixture in the pie.
- To prevent over-browning, cover the pie edges with foil. Bake at 375 degrees for 25 minutes.
- Remove foil and bake an additional 25 to 30 minutes.
- Drizzle top with caramel topping; sprinkle with pecans.
- Cool & Serve!
I used 5 cups of apples thinking 6 was too much high, but the apples smooth out during cooking so next time I will make it with 6 cups.