Each holiday I like to hand out small treat bags to Jacob’s preschool classmates, cupcakes get too messy with the frosting so I usually stick with holiday themed cookies. The other night while I was trying to come up with an new idea for Valentine’s Day instead of cookies, I came across the Cupid’s Crunch Recipe from Brett at Mama Loves Her Bargains, I knew this Valentine’s Day treat would be perfect for Jacob and his friends, popcorn + M&Ms, a perfect combination in my son’s eyes.
- 2 bags microwave popcorn or ½- 2/3 cup popcorn kernels, popped
- 12 oz bag Wilton candy melts
- 2 cups pretzels- broken into pieces
- 1 – ½ cups M&Ms
- Sprinkles, Nonpareils, or any other Valentine’s themed candies
- Pop popcorn & set aside. Make sure to pick out any unpopped kernels.
- Melt the candy melts at 30 second intervals in the microwave, or use a double boiler.
- Place broken pretzels and M&Ms into a large bowl with popcorn. Then pour ½ the melted candy over the top and mix with a rubber spatula.
- Spread the mixture out on a sheet of wax paper- drizzle remaining melted candy over the top.
- Sprinkle the nonpareils, candy bits or sprinkles.
- After the chocolate dries/hardens, break into bits and store in an airtight container.
I purchased plastic Valentine’s Day treat bags at the Christmas Tree Store for about $1 and it comes with 20 decorative bags with ties. I placed a serving of Cupid’s Crunch in each bag and sealed with a twist tie. Of course the boys had to give the Cupid’s Crunch a try before we packaged it all up. The candy popcorn was a big hit with the boys, especially when they noticed the M&Ms. Jacob can’t wait to hand them out to all his preschool friends after their Valentine’s Day party.