Pico de Gallo Chicken is perfect for busy weeknights and takes just minutes to prepare. This simple chicken recipe is loaded with fresh ingredients that you can find in your garden and is a healthy dinner that the whole family will enjoy, even the kids.
What’s for dinner? One of the hardest questions to answer week after week. As much as I love to cook, I really need to get better at organizing all of my recipes and get back to making a menu calendar for the month. Having a monthly meal plan really helps out but I seem to lack the motivation to get it done. I’ll do good for a couple of months and then start to slack. I really need to set myself a goal of getting it done by the 25th of the month so I have time to pick up the ingredients at the grocery store. The kids get a lunch menu sent home every month for their school lunches, and it would be great to have a dinner one on the fridge each month as well.
Dinner is a never ending struggle with three kids who are active in a variety of sports and after school activities. I often reach for crock-pot meals, dump & go dinners or recipes that have little prep work so that I can help the kids with their homework in between sports & dinner tine . With fresh pico de gallo in the fridge this past week it made for a perfect topping to the chicken breast.
If you make the Pico de Gallo ahead of time, or pick it up at your local grocery store, this easy chicken dish will only take 5 minutes to prepare.
Pico de Gallo Chicken:
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3/4 cup Shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- Pico de gallo (homemade or store-bought)
- Cilantro for garnish
Preheat oven to 350℉. Spray a 9×13″ baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
Season both sides of chicken with olive oil, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
Place chicken in greased baking dish.
Spoon pico de gallo salsa topping over the seasoned chicken breast.
Top with shredded Monterey Jack cheese.
Bake for 35-40 minutes or until the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165℉.
Garnish with additional cilantro.
*When making this chicken dish, remove the jalapeno seeds in the pico de gallo for a mild taste. For those that prefer a little heat, keep the seeds. I prepare the pico de gallo without the seeds for the kids but keep the seeds to the side so that I can re-add them to the adult portion.
How to make pico de gallo:
- 5-6 roma tomatoes,diced
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 3 Tbsp cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 jalapeno pepper, minced (remove seeds for a mild taste)
- juice from 1/2 lime
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- salt & pepper to taste
In medium bowl, mix the tomatoes, onion, jalapeno, lime juice, cilantro, garlic, salt, and pepper. Cover & refrigerate at least 30 minutes before serving.
Pico De Gallo Chicken
- 4 boneles, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 3/4 cups Monterey Jack cheese shredded
- Pico de gallo
- cilantro garnish, optional
- Preheat oven to 350℉. Spray a 9×13″ baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Season both sides of chicken with olive oil, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
- Place chicken in greased baking dish.
- Spoon pico de gallo topping over the seasoned chicken breast.
- Top with shredded Monterey Jack cheese.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165℉.
- Garnish with additional cilantro.
Pico De Gallo
- 5-6 Roma tomatoes diced
- 1/2 onion diced
- 3 Tbsp fresh cilantro chopped
- 1/2 jalapeño pepper chopped, remove seeds for a mild taste
- 1 tsp lime juice
- 1 cloves garlic minced
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- In medium bowl, mix the tomatoes, onion, jalapeno, lime juice, cilantro, garlic, salt, and pepper.
- Cover & refrigerate at least 30 minutes before serving.