Thank-you to Duncan Hines for providing products for inspiration.
While I can do without the cold weather, fall foliage, caramel apples, Halloween and baking are a few of my favorite things about this time of the year. The kids and I have been busy in the kitchen the past few weeks baking up some of our favorite fall treats, and trying out new ones including a few easy Halloween recipes with Duncan Hines.
Just in time for the fall holiday baking, Duncan Hines has introduced two new delicious products to help celebrate the flavors and colors of fall: Duncan Hines® Limited Edition Autumn Velvets cake mix and Caramel Apple Decadent cupcake mix.
Caramel Apple Cupcakes:
Caramel apples are and have always been one of my favorite treats during the fall. After a cool afternoon at kickball practice the boys helped me whip up these Caramel Apple Decadent cupcakes. We topped a few of them with crushed walnuts to give them a little crunch, and next time plan to add onto the recipe by adding in a few chunks of fresh apples, topped with a drizzle of caramel sauce.
Duncan Hines® Limited Edition Autumn Velvets:
Instead of baking a simple cake, we decided to take a step outside the box and make a Halloween Bundt cake using Duncan Hines® Limited Edition Autumn Velvets, and Duncan Hines Whipped Frosting for a Halloween party that we were hosting.
- 4 eggs
- ⅔ cup water
- 8 tbsp butter softened
- Duncan Hines Whipped Fluffy White Frosting
- Duncan Hines Whipped Fluffy Chocolate Frosting
- 12 in Bundt pan
- Orange food coloring
- Purple food coloring
- Sprinkles optional
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Spray a 12 cup Bundt pan with vegetable oil spray or flour/shortening.
- Mix cake batter according to directions. Pour ½ of brown cake batter into bottom of the greased pan, then pour orange on top, finish by pouring in the remaining brown batter.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 5 minutes.
- Turn pan upside down onto cooling rack and cool cake completely, about 30 minutes.
- Divide Duncan Hines vanilla frosting in two microwaveable dishes, put ½ cup of chocolate frosting in a third microwaveable dish. Microwave for 15 seconds or until smooth enough to drizzle, make sure to not overheat as it will become liquid. Use the food coloring to make one orange and one purple.
- With a spoon, drizzle the chocolate frosting back and forth around the whole ring in a striping pattern, then continue with purple and orange frosting.
- Top with sprinkles (optional)
Duncan Hines aims to make holiday baking easier, without the stress and hassle with these limited edition fall mixes. Bake the desserts according to the directions or take a stop outside the box, and make your own creation. For inspiration, visit http://www.duncanhines.com.