As the spring sports start up, afternoons are getting more hectic, especially on Wednesdays when the boys have kickball right in the middle of dinner time. By the time practice is over, it’s too late to make dinner as lights out for the children is just an hour later. On Wednesdays and many other school nights, quick and easy meals are a must have. A number of our go-to meals include chicken & rice, as they can easily be served in a number of ways. Plus, you can always find at least two boxes of rice stocked in the pantry and chicken in the freezer.
Sweet and sour chicken served with rice is one of Trevor’s favorite meals, and I can always count on the boys eating all their dinner without any hassle and whining. Trevor recently started going through a phase and has become very picky at dinner, he often sits at the table for 30-60 minutes as he is not allowed to get up until he’s finished, which I can’t have on Wednesday nights as we have to be out of the house and off to kickball.
While I’m busy prepping/cooking the chicken, the rice pretty much cooks itself in 5 minutes. I can toss whatever veggies we have at home into a skillet and mix with the sauce and within 20 minutes we have a hot meal served.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cups chopped chicken breast
- 1 can (8 oz each) pineapple tidbits, drained
- Sweet and Sour Sauce (homemade or store-bought)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 cups rice, uncooked
- Heat olive oil in skillet over medium heat. Cook chicken until no longer pink inside.
- Boil water and cook rice according to directions on box.
- Once chicken is cooked, add in pineapple, red peppers, snap peas, sweet and sour sauce, and soy sauce. Simmer 7-10 minutes or until hot.
- Serve over rice.
What are some of your go-to meals for hectic nights?