Easy Lemon Bars Recipe

My brother has been asking me to make this Lemon Bars Recipe for the past couple of months. I finally did the other night and was surprised how easy they were to make. I had been putting them off since I always forgot to leave out butter to soften, but the other morning I finally remembered. The first time I made them there was not enough lemon flavoring, so the second time I added in the juice from two more lemons and added a little more flour to the topping and it came out much better.

lemon squares

5 from 5 votes
Lemon Bars
  • 1 cup butter softened
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
Lemon Topping:
  • 4 eggs
  • 1 1/2 cups white sugar
  • 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
  • 4 lemons juiced (about 2/3 cup)
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
  2. In a medium bowl, blend together the softened butter, 2 cups flour and 1/2 cup sugar. Press into the bottom of an ungreased 9x13 inch baking dish/pan.
  3. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until firm and golden. In another bowl, mix together the remaining 1 1/2 cups sugar and 2/3 cup flour. Whisk in the eggs and lemon juice. Pour over the baked crust.
  4. Bake for an additional 20 minutes. The bars will firm up as they cool. For a festive tray, make another pan using limes instead of lemons and add a drop of green food coloring to give them a pale green color. After both pans have cooled, cut into 2 inch squares.
  5. Sprinkle with powered sugar

The Lemon Bars were a huge hit, I even got a request from my sister to save her a piece. I’m glad I put a couple pieces to the side as the next time I opened up the fridge they were gone. We will definitely be making these again, they are so easy to make and we almost always have all the ingredients on hand.  Next time I plan to make an additional batch and substitute the lemon with lime.

Lemon Bars

Lemon Bars Recipe originally found here.

1. These sound delicious, these would be dangerous I would want to eat them all.

2. Rosie says:

Wow – I haven’t made lemon bars in sooo long, and this recipe has me wanting to run to the kitchen! I love high quality organic butter in the summer – and fresh lemons ripened in the sun – make the yummiest bars!

3. Sarah says:

These are delicious! I made a batch night before last and added the zest of 2 lemons to the topping mix, and we used unbleached organic flour and sugar and unsalted butter. The squares were a hit with both immediate and extended family! Thanks for sharing 🙂

4. Elena says:

Looks so delicious! Thank you for the recipe!

5. Looks delicious….and that’s coming from a chocolate-holic. I was actually just at the store and saw bags of lemons on sale. I think this will be on my table this weekend.

6. Adriane says:

Those look so delicious!! I love lemon desserts year round.

7. Laura J says:

Oh these look so good! Growing up my grandmother always used to make lemon bars…I have tried some but not found a recipe that was like hers. This looks like it would be really close! I am going to have to try!!!!!

8. Jose says:

Incredibly easy and absolutely tasty! My pan was smaller so I did 75% of every ingredient. Just a note: I’ve added lemons zest to the dough to get some extra flavour in the crust.

9. nicole dz says:

lemon bars remind me of spring and summer, we always have these at are family picnics and outdoor parties, yummy!

10. Saw this recipe on Pinterest. Can’t wait to make them for our friends who are coming over this week.

11. Maryann D. says:

I love Lemon Bars but I never tried to make them myself. One day when I have time I have to give this a shot, they look so delicious.