My brother has been asking me to make this Lemon Bars Recipe for the past couple of months. I finally did the other night and was surprised how easy they were to make. I had been putting them off since I always forgot to leave out butter to soften, but the other morning I finally remembered. The first time I made them there was not enough lemon flavoring, so the second time I added in the juice from two more lemons and added a little more flour to the topping and it came out much better.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- ½ cup white sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 eggs
- 1½ cups white sugar
- ⅔ cup all-purpose flour
- 4 lemons, juiced (about ⅔ cup)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- In a medium bowl, blend together softened butter, 2 cups flour and ½ cup sugar. Press into the bottom of an ungreased 9x13 inch pan.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes in the preheated oven, or until firm and golden. In another bowl, whisk together the remaining 1½ cups sugar and ⅔ cup flour. Whisk in the eggs and lemon juice. Pour over the baked crust.
- Bake for an additional 20 minutes in the preheated oven. The bars will firm up as they cool. For a festive tray, make another pan using limes instead of lemons and adding a drop of green food coloring to give a very pale green. After both pans have cooled, cut into uniform 2 inch squares and arrange in a checker board fashion.
- Sprinkle with powered sugar
The Lemon Bars were a huge hit, I even got a request from my sister to save her a piece. I’m glad I put a couple pieces to the side as the next time I opened up the fridge they were gone. We will definitely be making these again, they are so easy to make and we almost always have all the ingredients on hand. Next time I plan to make an additional batch and substitute the lemon with lime.
Lemon Bars Recipe originally found here.