Every night I seem to have this horrible craving for chocolate which is weird since I used to hate chocolate. While looking for an easy recipe that I could use with ingredients that I already had at home I came across this Carmelita recipe. The ooiegooie caramel looked so delicious mixed with chocolate and I knew I just had to make it. I didn’t have any heavy cream but I just couldn’t pass up this recipe so I ran to the store.
- 32 caramel squares unwrapped
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 3/4 cup butter melted
- 3/4 cup brown sugar packed
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine caramels and cream in a small saucepan over low heat. Stir until completely smooth; set aside.
- In a separate bowl, combine the melted butter, brown sugar, flour, oats, and baking soda.
- Pat half of the oatmeal mixture into the bottom of an 8×8″ pan, and bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes.
- Remove pan from oven and sprinkle chocolate chips, then pour caramel mixture over the chocolate chips. Crumble remaining oatmeal mixture on top.
- Return to oven and bake an additional 15-20 minutes, until the edges are lightly browned. Remove from oven and cool completely before cutting.
The Oatmeal Carmelitas should not be served cold, as the caramel gets hard. They should be stored and served at room temperature, but you can put them in the fridge to cool them down if you need to serve them quickly.
This recipe was so easy to make and tasted amazing. By the end of the second day the 8×8 pan was bare, it was a big hit with my siblings and we will definitely have to make it again.
(Recipe found at LuLu The Baker.)