I have been craving Fried Dough for quite some time, and now that it is winter I will probably not get any till next spring when the carnival comes around or when we go to the amusement park or fair. I never realized that I could easily make Fried Dough at home until I received the Auntie Anne’s At Home Baking Kit. The Auntie Anne’s At Home Baking Kit is good just for at-home baking. You can mix, twist, and bake 10 Original or Cinnamon Sugar Pretzels or 15 Pretzel Dogs, or you can use it to make different recipes including Monkey Bread and Friend Dough!
1. In a large bowl, dissolve contents of 1 yeast packet in 1¼ cups lukewarm tap water (105°F). Let sit about 2 minutes. Water temperature must not exceed 115°F.
2. Add 1 dough mix to yeast/water mixture. Using a rubber spatula (or your hands), mix until dough ball forms.
3. Turn dough ball onto lightly floured surface and knead until soft, slightly sticky dough is formed (approximately 5-7 minutes). Add a small amount of flour if dough is too sticky.
4. Place dough ball into a large bowl that has been coated with nonstick spray. Coat a sheet of plastic wrap with nonstick spray and place on top of dough ball, tucking sides down around dough (to prevent dough from drying out).
5. Place bowl in a warm spot (85-90°F) for 30 minutes so the dough can rest (i.e.: place bowl by a sunny window, on top of or near a warm oven, or on top of a refrigerator).
Fried Dough Directions:
1. While dough is rising preheat oil to 375°F in a deep fryer or large heavy skillet.
2. Pinch off 1-inch portions of dough (the size of a donut hole) and slightly press down into disks.
3. Fry 4-6 pieces of dough at a time in the hot oil 3½ to 4½ minutes, turning once with metal tongs to evenly brown all sides. Yield: 40
4. Remove the Fried Dough from the oil and place onto a paper towel to drain.
Toppings: You can add anything you would like to the Fried Dough; cinnamon sugar (included in baking kit), powdered sugar, or drizzle with chocolate syrup!
The Fried Dough was extremely easy to make thanks to the Auntie Anne’s At Home Baking Kit. Before receiving this kit I would have never imagined making it at home. My only complaint is that I wish the At Home Baking Kit comes in smaller sizes, the dough was more then enough for my family of 4, we ended up having to throw a lot of the Fried Dough away since there is no way to reheat it and have it taste good.
Disclosure: I wrote this review while participating in a Blog Friendly PR campaign on
behalf of Auntie Annes. I received a sample for my participation,
all opinions are my own.